The heart and soul of getting more business from the web is your website.
All the good website design companies know this. Your perfect website is born from a special relationship between you and your web designer. If you click with them they’ll have a much easier time giving you exactly what you want. An outstanding web development company will know if they aren’t a suitable match for you. They’d rather turn down a project than do an unsatisfactory job.
There are certain things to keep in mind if you want a better chance to find the right web designers.
First is cost. Have a budget by the time to contact potential web developers for your project. If you tell them “I don’t have a budget” they won’t take you seriously. If you have no budget, you haven’t really thought it through. Even if it is a range, set yourself a realistic budget.
Contact us now, to talk about your new website.
Once you narrow your search down to the web development companies you can afford you’ll find the choice much easier. If you get the price range out of the way first you won’t spend time eliminating options that look promising but are too expensive.
You’ll also need to look at the company’s body of work. If you don’t like the designs they’ve done for other clients, chances are you won’t like what they come up with for you. If you find a company whose designs you like, pay attention to the details of their work. Keep an eye out for anything you don’t like so you can make sure they don’t include it in your website.
Also insure that whatever company you choose is willing to listen to your ideas. They should want you to be as happy with the finished product as they are. Be sure you talk about time with them as well. You want to know going in how long the design will take to finish. It’s also a good idea to know how soon you need the work done. Do you plan to launch your website on a specific day, or are you more flexible with the timeline?
Hire a web designer with a proven track record.
The company should know about your business if they’re writing the actual content of your website. Ask if they employ writers to come up with your content if you don’t want to do it yourself. Know who you’ll be speaking with in the company so you can contact them without hassle. This is important if you need progress updates or must provide them with information. You should hire a web development company that is willing to form a team with you and your own company. They should know your staff and how you manage your business. If you need them to work with others besides yourself, make that clear upfront.
Take the designer’s own personal tastes into consideration when making your choice. For example, say you want your website to have a minimalist feel. You should hire a web development company that incorporates minimalism into its designs. The same goes for any other style of web design. If you want a clean and muted style don’t hire a company whose designs are bold and colorful. The perfect designers for you will consider the specific style of your business. They will work hard to design a website that fits its image.
You also need to know what kinds of clients the developers usually take on. Your small business will have a different website design than a large enterprise. If you plan to sell products on your site, ensure the developers know how to incorporate eCommerce into your design. You should keep your business goals for the website in mind at all times. Make sure your web designers know what they are. If they’re the right company for you, they’ll keep those goals in mind at all times.
If you want the best possible website for your business, consider the following:
- Who is your audience? If you want your target audience to find your site, you must first identify it. Once, you do you have to make your site relevant to them.
- Include information that people want. Simple, right? People want to learn and find out more about everything. Your website should be an information hub for your niche.
- Make your website mobile-friendly. This is very simple, websites that are not mobile-friendly rank lower and get less traffic from the search engines. Therefore, they make less money for the business that own them.
- Stick to the point. People come to your website to do business with you. They are not interesting in your dog or your personal issues. Stick to business.
- Have a great “About” page. Your about page is the second most visited page after your homepage. Use your about page to tell the story behind your business. Also, build trust. Explain, why should people trust you? What have you done? What makes you better? What makes you unique?
- Browser compatible. Make sure your website works well with the most popular browsers.
- I don’t care what kind of business you have. Keep the language simple. Most magazines publish at a 9th grade reading level. Simple language will result in more engagement with your website.
- Keep your website content updated. Most businesses never update their websites. The result? Poor search engine rankings, low traffic, and disappointing number of leads.
- Update your website platform frequently. We recommend WordPress as your website platform. WordPress and other Content Management System (CMS) platforms must be updated to keep them secure and to keep them running smoothly.
- Always add new content. Websites that help your business grow add new content frequently. Write new articles, blog posts, reviews, advice, and such content to grow your website. More content will help to position you as an authority within your field.
- Collect emails. Email marketing is still one of the most effective marketing techniques. People don’t want to sing up for newsletters, so give them a good reason to subscribe to your email list. You could offer a free ebook, a webinar, or a special report.
- Link to your social media accounts. But only do this if you are active on social media. So, if you haven’t posted anything to your Facebook page since last December, hide it. People might think you went out of business since.
- Link to other websites you trust and invite others to link to your website.
- Keep your website simple. A simple navigation and plenty of white space is a good start.
- Show testimonials. People want to know that you have successfully helped others.
- Do not have music on your website – unless you are MTV or you are a band. Music is one of the most annoying feature you could have on your website. Avoid it.
Contact us now, to talk about your new website.
photo credit: Seattle and an incoming airplane.